- I'm the oldest of 3 kids.
- My brother and sister are 18 years younger than I am.
- I don't wash new dishes before I use them
- I rarely remember to wash fruits and vegetables before I chop them up except if I'm serving them to guests
- I only like coffee if I'm at home or if it's frozen.
- I am a total control freak.
- I lost my virginity when I was 23
- My left eye droops because a bout of Bell's Palsy in high school left half my face paralyzed.
- The same year my face was paralyzed, I had my jaw wired shut for 6 weeks
- Two fingers on my left hand are crooked and turned sideways for no reason other than a growth spurt when I was 10.
- I bought my own engagement ring and wedding ring.
- I was quasi-engaged to an American sailor I met on New Year's Eve 2002 in Italy.
- I don't like wearing thongs. I'm a boy-short girl.
- I have to make my bed every morning.
- I yell at people at the grocery store who don't return their carts to the cart corral.
- My mother is my best friend followed by my husband.
- At hotels, I clean up the room before I leave. I'll make the bed, wash out the sink, take out the trash, etc.
- I got into the University of Iowa's journalism program but didn't go because my mom got pregnant with my brother and sister.
- I have been a writer since high school. I was one of the first students to write for the Aurora Beacon News as a teen writer.
- I loathe ignorant and lazy people.
- I not only voted for him, but I also campaigned for Obama.
- I don't think I'll ever understand economics.
- I wish I would have waited longer to move in with my now-husband. I think a lot of stressors in our early life would have been eliminated had we waited.
- I'd love to write a book some day.
- I actually would love to be on the stepfamily t.v. documentary; however, I don't want to deal with the potential hate mail.
- I don't really like wine. My drink of choice is a wine cooler, then a lime-flavored beer, then wine.
- Going out to eat with a group of people makes me sick to my stomach. I'll usually nosh on bread or crackers and then binge when I get home.
- I am an ambidextrous pole dancer.
- My favorite flavor is lemon.
- My parents thought I was a boy until I was born.
- My favorite cousin survived breast cancer last year. She's my hero.
- I bawl every time I hear "Wind Beneath My Wings." I can never figure out if I'm the wind beneath someone's wings or if they're my wind.
- I can't wait to be an empty-nester.
Saturday, January 31, 2009
Friday, January 30, 2009
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Photo courtesy Microsoft Clip Art
Friday, January 23, 2009
- I received a blog award last week from one of my favorite new bloggers
- Stepchicks is really growing!!!
- I've narrowed down my triathlon
- I'm launching a social media 101 website
- I have another byproduct of the social media 101 and stepchicks site.
- Did I tell y'all how cool the Stepfamily Letter Project has been?
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Friday, January 16, 2009
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
If you'd like to claim the snow, please contact Mother Nature and ask for her to send it your way.
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Sunday, January 11, 2009
- I will continue to refer to my stepkids as just that -- stepkids. No specific names. Same thing with my husband.
- I won't be blogging about them unless there's a really cool piece of good news I want share.
- I'm going to try to focus this blog on resources for stepmoms. If anyone's going to be the central focus of this blog it's going to be me.
- I'm going to start promoting positive stepmom experiences on this blog.
- I'm going to do a better job at promoting Stepchicks, a social networking community I created for stepmoms.
Thursday, January 8, 2009
I've taken down the blog posts about the issue we've been having lately. It's not fair to the person who has been the co-center of conversation. That person didn't ask to be written about. That person doesn't even know they've been written about.
One of the fears I had when I was crying almost inconsolably last night was that I've screwed everything up. I thought I was a big, fat failure and was the source for a lot of problems. I've been assured I'm not, but I don't want to even risk being a source for problems.
And so I've removed the posts and I'm going to remove myself from the blog for the rest of the week. I need to take a break, focus on myself and figure a few things out.
Don't worry, I'll be back. But for now, I need to follow my own advice and distance myself.
See y'all next week.
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Sunday, January 4, 2009
I'm extremely grateful for...Pole dancing classes. Specifically the ones I do at Flirtease Fitness in Naperville, Ill. I guess you could construe this as a plug for the place I take classes. So be it. I started back today (level 4!!) and while my body aches from the inversions, pole climbs and spins, I feel amazing. I also was reminded of the sisterhood I have there and how warm and friendly my pole dance friends are.
What I've done for myself today...I went to pole dance class. 90 minutes alone with me and my pole girls. Tack on to that the 90 minutes of commute and extra grocery store trip and I had 3 hours to myself. It felt better than a massage.
Saturday, January 3, 2009
What I've done for myself today...See above. My mom and I spent some time at IKEA and then sat by the fire at Panera sipping soup. It was really nice to get outside of the house and with one of my favorite people.
Friday, January 2, 2009
I'm also extremely grateful for...my incredibly loving mom who always knows that a trip to IKEA and Panera on Saturday always puts a smile on my face.
What I've done for myself today...I let myself cry -- loudly. I have been keeping a lot of anger, resentment and frustration inside of me lately and today, it burst out with a vengeance. I got to a point where I was having anxiety-induced chest pains I was so rattled with emotion. Instead of passive-aggressively working through my day, I cried when the emotion hit. I usually don't like to show tears because I fear it makes me appear weak, but I cried...and cried...and cried some more. Until the tears were all gone.
Of course, all of that crying lead to the other thing I did for myself today...I took a mid-day nap. I was working at home today because of the holiday and I'd reached a point where I just couldn't stay awake any longer. So I set my alarm and slept. For an hour. It was divine.
Today I've decided I need a motto for the year as well. My motto is an oldie, but a goodie:
To Thine Own Self Be True
I've got some big things staring me in the face already this year and I've decided my motto is going to be my approach to life. Sort of like my personal mission statement.
I will be true to myself in 2009. I will confront the problem(s) that have made me feel weak and sick, I will not tip-toe around topics I'm afraid to bring up and I will just say no being a doormat.
Does anyone else have a personal mission statement? A phrase or word that they hold on to when times are rough or when they're not?